Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the difference between cinema4d and softimage?
Whats the difference between cinema4d and softimage?
in theory very little. both can do the same job in different way. c4d is easier to learn. Sofimage xsi has the same toolset as c4d, as do all 3d packages with additonal features built for gaming and filming industry. xsi has a addition called ICE, the interactive creative environment, and some really complex tools for manipulation high density models. both can use node based scripting to help build complex interactive 3d scenes. if you're starting out try cinema to understand its limitations then try xsi and spend a long time in its huge 3d arena.
I am not sure if you have any experience with 3D applications so I am going to assume that you are a beginner.

Both Softimage and Cinema 4D will allow you to model, texture, animate, and render out of the box. In other words, both applications will provide you with a lot of the same functionality.

Here are the biggest differences to me:

1. There is a free version of Softimage available called Softimage ModTool. This has much of the same functionality of the full version of Softimage 7. 5. I believe there are rendering limitations and export limitations; however, it will export to . FBX or Collada with some available add-ons. You can read about Softimage ModTool here:

hxxp: usa. autodesk. com / adsk / servlet / pc / item?id=13571257&siteID=123112

2. Cinema4D has a Core version that you can purchase for $995 that will allow you to get into the commercial software for much cheaper than you can with Softimage. However, as you might guess by the name, there is a lot of important functionality that is missing from this version.

3. To get all of the same professional-level features in Cinema4D that you get in Softimage you will have to spend about $700 more for the Cinema4D Studio bundle. All of the functionality that you get from Cinema 4D's add-on modules is already present inside the Softimage commercial edition.

4. There is a ton of available training for Softimage and quite a bit of it is free.

5. Cinema4D does include the awesome BodyPaint3D plugin which allows you to texture a 3D model with in a full 3D viewport with texture painting tools. You can also paint textures inside Softimage but its tools for this are very limited. I personally use a different application for this called 3D Coat that is low-cost, very easy to use, and professional. Other alternatives for this would include ZBrush and Mudbox.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what can you do with softimage that you can't do in maya? DonaldMurphy 1 7,259 01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Last Post: MichelleWebster
  Maya Unlimited Vs. Softimage XSI advanced? LisaBowens 2 6,094 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Last Post: GregoryBeard
  where can i find a trial download of XSI? (Softimage)? StevenMcintyre 3 5,839 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Last Post: BarbaraPerez
  Why lean Maya when you can lean Softimage/XSI? BarbaraPerez 1 4,467 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Last Post: KevinMartinez
  geodesic dome in softimage XSI or Cinima 4d? KimberlyCramer 1 4,228 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Last Post: ClaireJohnson
  My Softimage 2011 is running kind of slow? ScottGarrow 2 4,753 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Last Post: MaryHong
  Can SoftImage XSI run on a Mac? AnnettePerrin 1 4,306 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Last Post: MichelleWebster
  Is Softimage mod tool available for linux? AnnettePerrin 1 4,157 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Last Post: HymanWinton
  How well does the 13 inch base model handle XSI Softimage an RandolphPhillips 1 4,268 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Last Post: DonnaMaselli
  Has any one heard of softimage spftware or how it may compar KristinRouse 2 4,691 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Last Post: WandaFinch